I am always looking for quick and easy bars, brownies and cookies this time of year. They are perfect for pot lucks, holiday parties or even treat tins for the holidays. That’s what my goal was to find for this Secret Recipe Club assignment. I was assigned to Wendy’s blog – A Day in the Life on the Farm. Both her and her husband are retired police officers who decided to move to the country after retirement. She has some fantastic recipes to choose from! I chose the Gooey Butter Shortbread Bars!
I’ve always been a big shortbread fan, but love the idea of these gooey bars. There is a shortbread crust filled with a sweet and gooey center filling. I topped it off with some large sugar crystals to add some texture to the recipe. These were quick, easy and tasty!! Enjoy!
- For the Crust:
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 c.up powdered sugar
- For the Topping:
- 2 TBSP light corn syrup
- 1 TBSP water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 TBSP unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup. + 2 TBSP flour
- Coarse granulated sugar
- Pre-heat your oven to 350. Line an 8 inch square baking dish with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Combine the ingredients for the crust : butter, powdered sugar and flour, in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix on medium speed just until the mixture resembles crumb.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Combine syrup, water and vanilla in a small bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- Place remaining butter and granulated sugar in the mixing bowl and beat until light and fluffy. Add egg and mix until just combined. Then alternate flour and syrup mixture adding into the mixing bowl, blending after each addition. Spread with a rubber spatula over the cooled crust. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden. Sprinkle with coarse granulated decorating sugar and bake for another 2 min to set.
- Remove from oven and lift foil out of the pan. Let cool completely before cutting into bars.