Don’t have a lot of time to prepare and cook a healthy dinner for your family on weeknights? I know exactly how you feel. I am all about quick and easy meals during the week. When I come home after a long day at the work and then a quick stop at the gym, I don’t want to spend another hour in the kitchen. I started making this Turkey Black Bean Chili a few months back and it’s become a household favorite. OK, so just Doug and I…but one day Kirkley will appreciate it too. Speaking of…go read my previous post and comment away. I could use more input (and feel like less of a loser).
Let me also inform you how difficult it’s been to get my husband to enjoy many of my healthier meals (quinoa, forget it!). He requests this meal on a weekly basis now and I don’t mind because it literally takes me 20 minutes to prepare and get it simmering. After that it makes itself and I get more time with my family. I love it too! There’s typically enough for each of us to get filled up at dinner and I take the leftovers for lunch.
This would be a great meal to add to the freeze ahead list, or even take to a friend who needs a helping hand. I can tell you, I will still be making this well into the hot summer months even. I hope you all enjoy it as much as we do!
Have a great weekend! Say a prayer for Doug, it’s his half ironman. This is his second one and he’s been training for months. Should be fun!
- 3 Thin slices bacon (diced)
- 1 Small Sweet Yellow Onion (diced)
- 2 Cloves Garlic (minced)
- 20 Oz Extra Lean Jennie –O Ground Turkey Breast (1 packaged)
- 28 oz can of Crushed Tomatoes
- 15.5 oz can of black beans (rinsed)
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 Tsp Dried Oregano
- ½ Tsp Chili Powder
- 4 dashes Worcestershire Sauce
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a heavy bottom stock pot (I use a Le Creuset Dutch Oven) over medium heat cook diced back on until crisp. Add in diced onions and garlic and cook until translucent or tender.
- Add in ground turkey and cook through until “brown”. Drain off any fat renderings from pot and place back over medium heat.
- Pour can of crushed tomatoes, rinsed black beans and seasonings. Reduce heat to medium low and let simmer for 30-40 minutes.
- Garnish with sour cream, avocados and/or cheddar cheese.