One of the biggest notable things that has changed about my cooking is probably that it is a lot more health conscious. While I still love a good cookie dough cupcake every now and then, my meals are a lot more calorie-centric. Baby weight was not kind to me and I definitely didn’t help myself in that department by baking every weekend.
Eggs are probably my favorite go-to meal any time of day. Actually, they always have been. They fill me up and are freaking delicious. This dish I’ve been playing around with a bit adding different ingredients and seeing what I like best. The beauty of it is, we eat it for dinner and then have the left overs the next day for breakfast or lunch. Or you can make it the beginning of the week and eat on it through the week.
It’s lower calorie since it uses part whole eggs and part egg whites. What ingredients I’ve included in it are just some things I prefer in this type of dish. You can change it up and add whatever you’d like to it, substitute fat free milk, or cut out the bacon if you want to eat more and cut down the calories. It’s a very versatile recipe!
- 2 slices bacon (diced)
- ½ Medium Sweet Yellow Onion (diced)
- 2 Cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 Medium Red Skinned Potato (diced very small cubes)
- 1 Cup Baby Spinach
- ½ Cup Button Mushrooms (sliced)
- ⅓ Cup Black Beans
- 6 Large Eggs
- 5 Large Egg whites only
- ⅓ Cup Whole Milk
- ⅓ Cup 2% Milk Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- ¼ Tsp of black pepper
- ¼ Tsp of Salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Coat a 9 inch pie pan with cooking spray.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook bacon cubes crisp. Remove bacon from skillet to drain on paper towel. Remove most of the bacon grease from pan leaving enough to cook remaining vegetables in, 2-3 teaspoons at most.
- Cook diced onions and garlic in skillet until soft (about 2 minutes). Add diced red potato and cover with lid until potato becomes soft, stirring occasionally. Remove lid and add spinach and mushrooms until both are tender and mushrooms are slightly browned. Remove from heat.
- While the spinach and mushrooms are sauteing, in a large bowl whisk eggs, egg whites, milk, shredded cheese, pepper and salt until well combined.
- Pour egg mixture into prepared pie pan. Sprinkle black beans and vegetables/potatoes in egg mixture evenly.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until middle is set and the top is beginning to brown.
- Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
- Garnish with sour cream if desired.
Amy (@amy_donovan) says
This sounds SO wonderful and I love that it’s skinny! Perfect for brunch or a light dinner. YUM!
Thanks Amy! It’s great for all meals!