Even though I’m not a teacher, I’m still a huge fan of summertime. We LOVE being around water. Of course when you live in Texas and temperatures are 100+ everyday who wouldn’t be around the water as much as possible? (I really shouldn’t complain, so far we’ve had a super mild summer!). Be it pool, lake or state park we always stock up on snacks. Everything seems to taste a thousand times better when you’ve been lounging by water all day. This year I’m going to try to keep more healthy options on hand for when we get “snacky”. Complete side note those with kids will appreciate. My 3 year old daughter will not eat anything you call a meal, breakfast lunch or dinner. She will only eat it if you call it a “snack”. Oh and if you do call it anything other than that she will be quick to correct you. Kids are funny.
The other great thing about this, is most kids (unless it’s my own) will love these and they can help assemble them. I love the fresh taste of the cucumber combined with the garlicky hummus and to top it all off the chopped cilantro adds a little added fresh and zing flavor. I may have a mild obsession with cilantro, but we can talk about that some other day. These make great summer snacks or even perfect for your kids lunchbox once summer starts back up in the fall. They are healthy and include your healthy fat, protein and fruit serving. Another side note, did you know that cucumbers are technically a fruit?! I had no clue to be honest, I had to google it. So I guess that means pickles are fruit too?? Strange!
I hope you enjoy these Cucumber Sandwiches with Hummus Turkey and Cilantro as much as I do!
- 2 whole Cucumbers
- 1 container of Roasted Garlic Hummus
- 1 Package of Deli Sliced Oven Roasted Turkey Breast
- ½ Cup Chopped Cilantro
- Cut off ends of Cucumbers. Thinly slice cucumbers into long strips lengthwise either with a mandolin or carefully with a knife.
- Once sliced, cut in half in the middle of the long slice.
- On one side of the cucumber spread about a tablespoon of hummus, sprinkle cilantro and top with half a slice of turkey breast. Top with other half of cucumber.
- Keep refrigerated or cool until ready to eat.