I am always looking for quick and easy bars, brownies and cookies this time of year. They are perfect for pot lucks, holiday parties or even treat tins for the holidays. That’s what my goal was to find for this Secret Recipe Club assignment. I was assigned to Wendy’s blog – A Day in the Life on the Farm. Both her and her husband are retired police officers who decided to move to the country after retirement. She has some fantastic recipes to choose from! I chose the Gooey Butter Shortbread Bars!
I’ve always been a big shortbread fan, but love the idea of these gooey bars. There is a shortbread crust filled with a sweet and gooey center filling. I topped it off with some large sugar crystals to add some texture to the recipe. These were quick, easy and tasty!! Enjoy!
- For the Crust:
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 c.up powdered sugar
- For the Topping:
- 2 TBSP light corn syrup
- 1 TBSP water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 TBSP unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup. + 2 TBSP flour
- Coarse granulated sugar
- Pre-heat your oven to 350. Line an 8 inch square baking dish with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Combine the ingredients for the crust : butter, powdered sugar and flour, in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix on medium speed just until the mixture resembles crumb.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Combine syrup, water and vanilla in a small bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- Place remaining butter and granulated sugar in the mixing bowl and beat until light and fluffy. Add egg and mix until just combined. Then alternate flour and syrup mixture adding into the mixing bowl, blending after each addition. Spread with a rubber spatula over the cooled crust. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden. Sprinkle with coarse granulated decorating sugar and bake for another 2 min to set.
- Remove from oven and lift foil out of the pan. Let cool completely before cutting into bars.
A SUPER DUPER SRC recipe and one that will be very popular for Christmas too! They look insanely good! Karen
Karen recently posted…Canja de Galinha – Brazilian Chicken and Rice Soup
I tell you one thing, any recipe with gooey in the title has my full attention!
Perfect choice for your assignment…
Have a great Reveal Day!
SallyBR recently posted…SECRET RECIPE CLUB: RUSTIC CIABATTA AND MINI-MEATLOAVES
Karen @ Karen's Kitchen Stories says
Those sound very yummy. I am a huge fan of shortbread, and the topping just takes it to another level. Great pick!
Karen @ Karen’s Kitchen Stories recently posted…Chili Macaroni and Cheese – Cheesy Chili Mac
Oh Yum! These bars look amazing! I wish I could eat my screen! (I really shouldn’t look at food blogs on my way home from work before dinner. Haha) Great SRC pick!
Christine recently posted…SRC: Making Miracle’s Mushroom Sausage Ragu
Emily @ Life on Food says
I say yes to all things gooey and buttery. These sound amazing! Happy Reveal Day!
Emily @ Life on Food recently posted…Mozzarella Cheese Cutlets #secretrecipeclub
Wendy, A Day in the Life on the Farm says
Hi Amber, aren’t these bars the perfect recipe….easy,, peasy and delicious. Thanks for sharing my blog today. Happy Thanksgiving.
Wendy, A Day in the Life on the Farm recently posted…Easiest Nut Brittle in the World for #handcraftededibles
Yum! Those look perfect for the holidays. Great pick this month!
Tara recently posted…#SRCHolidayTreats: S’mores Cookies
Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie says
I never knew that gooey and shortbread could be in the same sentence. Must try.
Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie recently posted…Homemade Malted Hot Chocolate Mix