“I participated in an Influencer Activation on behalf of Influence Central for Calphalon. I received product samples and a promotional item to thank me for my participation.”
It’s finally becoming a little cooler here in Texas, which means it’s the perfect time for sharpening my soup skills. The past few days have been rainy and chilly which left me craving something warm and comforting for dinner at night. Even better, something that is easy to make on a week night and will easily reheat. Nothing can beat a good Corn Chowder, especially when the key ingredients are cheddar cheese and bacon. Yes, please and thank you! This Cheddar and Bacon Corn Chowder is so creamy and cheesy, ideal for those winter nights.
One of the base ingredients for this Corn Chowder is a large sweet yellow onion, which is honestly my favorite base ingredient for most any dish lately. Can you believe I used to HATE onions? I can remember when I was little my parents made an onion casserole and tricked me into eating it by telling me it was potatoes. Somehow I was gullible enough to believe them and devoured it, but never quite trusted them about food again. (Of course they did something similar when they made me try a “Mountain Oyster”, bleh). I digress. I cut A LOT of onions now a days, thankfully Calphalon offers the fastest and easiest way to dice and slice them in this video. Make sure to check out other great tutorials on #KnifeSkills here!
I am already a Calphalon fan, as I use their non-stick pots and pans daily. I absolutely love them! I was lucky enough to get a knife set to try out myself, and I absolutely love the self sharpening technology along with the website to help keep my skills just as sharp!
What a brilliant idea to have your knives sharpen every time you put them back up? One of the biggest features that this knife set comes with is the SharpIN technology. Ceramic sharpeners are built into the slots of the stainless steel part of the storage blog. This sharpens the knife in between each use. This creates an effortless slice every time you use the knives, which I can attest to. Everything I’ve chopped or sliced using this set, has cut with ease….like buttah! They’re made from high-carbon, no stain forged stainless steel. The new line of Calphalon Self-Sharpening Cutlery is vailable in 3 models:
o Calphalon Classic Self-Sharpening Cutlery
– 15 Piece set
o Calphalon Contemporary Series German Steel Self-Sharpening Cutlery
-16 Piece set
o Calphalon Precision Series Fully Forged Self-Sharpening Cutlery
– 15 Piece set
Now you have the chance to win a new 12 piece Calphalon Self-Sharpening Cutlery, as well!
Contest entrants are only eligible to win once per sweepstake, per household as part of a campaign sponsored by Influence Central.
- 7 slices uncooked, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 large sweet yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 tablespoon flour
- 32 oz box chicken broth
- 4 1/2 cups fresh or frozen sweet corn (Approx 8 fresh ears)
- 7 ounces sharp aged cheddar cheese, freshly grated (extra for topping)
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Heat large dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Chop raw bacon into dices and cook in pot until crispy. Remove bacon and place on a plate lined with a paper towel, set aside.
- In the large pot, add Heat a large pot over medium-low heat and add the olive oil and butter to the remaining bacon grease. Once butter has melted, add onions, garlic, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Cook about 5 minutes, or until fragrant and onions are translucent. Add in the four and whisk constantly until onions are coated and roux starts to turn golden.
- Slowly whisk in the Chicken Broth until well combined. Add inn corn and increase the heat to medium high. Stir constantly until the broth begins to thicken. At this point, bring liquid to a boil and cover reducing to a simmer. Summer on low for 10 minutes. Remove cover and stir in half and half and cheese. Stir until the cheese melts completely. Stir in nutmeg and add additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Top with crumbled bacon and shredded cheddar. Serve immediately.
- Store left overs in an air tight container in refrigerator or freeze.